Friday, February 22, 2013

Turn

Todays's LBC topic is Turn, brought to us courtesy of Will Knott.

It's by now no secret music is a big turn on for me so this Pete Seeger classic I think is a somewhat obvious choice.


But lets stray from the obvious a bit. Turn ons?  Honesty, good single-malt whiskey, a good song, a good book, conversation with friends, a pretty girl/woman, a good argument/debate on almost anything - the list is long. 

Turn offs?  Lies, helplessness, political correctness, unwarranted arrogance, lonliness.


Life is a series of turns. Nobody I know travels a straight road - they are all long and windy,  each twist and turn offering new experiences and new opportunities.  What we make of these opportunities on the journey becomes the fabric our life. Make a wrong turn, for whatever reason and there are consequences to pay.  Perhaps insignificant, perhaps life changing. Ditto for every right turn.  The trick is to keep moving forward regardless.  Take the next step.  Stuff happens as they say.  Things may not always turn out the way you want but that'd be boring and who wants a boring life. For all its problems, the world is full of adventure. Turn your self into an explorer, not a spectator.

What do others have to say on this subject?  Check out Delirious, gaelikaa, Grannymar, Maxi, Maria SF, Padmum, Paul, Ramana, The Old Fossil and Will. Their links are over there on the right.






8 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder if I've taken a wrong turn. But quite often it's too late to turn back. It's surprising I have the faith to make the step in the first place, knowing I might take the wrong road. But I do think that even if we take the wrong road for a time, there is joy in the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D I find it hard to believe you lack the faith to do anything.

      Delete
  2. Both of us agreed on our choice of music! I am pleased as punch.

    And that song reverberates with the zen saw - "Sitting quietly, doing nothing, spring comes and the grass grows by itself." Things will take turns for change. We call them better of worse depending on our frame of reference.

    My seeking adventure days are over friend, it is time to witness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you've entered the season of spectating eh Rummy? Well one can explore many things via books, magazines and the like so methinks you are still an explorer - you'll have plenty of witness time later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a winding road indeed, but I heartily endorse the sense of adventure uncovering each new vista. Even when some scenery can be so bleak ... who knows what the next turn brings? Even witnessing and considering is an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not knowing what is around the corner, is sometimes a good thing. It leaves the way open for a little adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shackman, no one ever takes a "wrong" turn willingly. Enter Ramana's famous hindsight. And what is a 'right' turn? All I know, and I marvel at it often, how life's events weave. And how, looking back, I am grateful to some of the spanners thrown into my works. Because if they hadn't some of what has turned out wonderful wouldn't have come my way. Knock on effect, and all that.

    Naturally, one could drive oneself a little mad by speculating that if another turn had taken your attention, say three minutes later, where you'd be decades down the line. To put it in slightly crude terms and demonstrate what I mean I will use my favourite example, one which should humble us all: The moment of our conception. Imagine the sperm that in the end resulted in YOU had got a little distracted during the race and not made it to the finishing line: You wouldn't be YOU, would you? You'd be someone else. Still a you, but not you. Perish the thought. Well, Shackman, now you know how I spend my time when I have nothing else to do but drive myself round the bend.

    Other than that I am good at doing a U-turn.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right U - nobody makes a wrong turm intentionally - in facts most turns are neither right nor wrong - it's the decisions we make that can be wrong. Up around the bend? There's a song there somewhere.

      Delete