Friday, January 15, 2016

Breakfast - LBC topic

Breakfast. Literally - break the fast - otherwise known as the fast that began with your last meal of the day until your first meal the next day. Allegedly the most important meal of the day. The one that many restaurants and fast food places stop serving at 11:00 AM. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

You can tell by that last comment I take umbrage with the decision to stop serving breakfast at 11.  Why? Quite simply because the typical breakfast  here in the good old U.S.A. typically includes several items from the following (and once in a while perhaps all of them) - eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, English muffins and fried potatoes. That is quite frankly a list of some of my favorite foods and why the he double hockey sticks shouldn't they be available whenever you want them?

Mickey Ds has recognized the value of serving breakfast any time of the day.



Yep - that's me. A real food rebel.  If you're gonna break a rule make it a big one.  I often have breakfast for dinner. And - truth be told - I like cold leftovers from traditional dinners as breakfast.  Hmmm. Now here is something to ponder - what is the minimum time not eating can be called a fast? If it can be - and I see no reason why it cannot - be say four hours or so than every meal could - nay SHOULD be called breakfast. Of course that might just throw restaurants that only serve breakfast into a quandary. To that I offer a hearty fuggum (this is a family friendly blog).

The ideal breakfast? Gotta be a breakfast burrito. I remember the first time I ever had one - it was February of 1977 and I was managing my very first RadioShack store in a place called Manhattan Beach, California. One bite and a lifelong love affair was started. Scrambled eggs, ham, bacon and hash browns wrapped in a flour tortilla. Perfect for commuters - even when my commute from the tiny restaurant to the store was simply a stroll across Sepulveda Blvd. Talk about the good old days.

Moving away from the culinary aspects of breakfast, there have been a couple of excellent breakfast movies - each a classic to the generations depicted. There is Breakfast at Tiffany's and the iconic Breakfast Club. Each film produced a classic song - Moon River from Tiffany's and Don't You Forget About Me from Breakfast Club.

Actually lets get back to the culinary aspects - ahem. I am late today with this post and it is almost 11 - time for breakfast.

See ya next week,

3 comments:

  1. You need to move to Ireland, Shackman,where you will find many places serving 'All day Breakfasts'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I welcome you to India. Here too you can get breakfast on a 24 hour basis. Apart from traditional and varieties to cater to regional preferences, you can get what you are used to too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But if all I want is what I am used to why travel? LOL - The best way to learn about a new culture is to eat the food!

    ReplyDelete