Thursday, July 26, 2018

Sleep is the best meditation. 2-on-1 07/27/2018

This weeks topic was suggested by Ramana. Be sure to check his take on it here.

The Dalai Lama - who made the statement - reportedly spends several hours preparing for sleep and then spends 8-9 hours sleeping. I cannot honestly remember the last time I slept eight hours straight. These days I occasionally log seven and that does not come from sleeping in my bed - it comes from sleeping in my recliner. I honestly have never tried meditation so I cannot really make a legitimate comparison between sleeping and meditation. M increaseeditation's goal is to achieve a mentally clear, emotionally calm state. Sleep is intended to restore and rejuvenate us both physically and mentally.


So-called Deep Sleep is the sleep equivalent of meditation. Unfortunately, as we age we spend less time in Deep Sleep. Those of us in my age bracket typically drop from 20% nightly to 5% nightly. That is a significant drop and is largely responsible for some of the typical signs of aging. I honestly have never tried meditation so I cannot really make a legitimate comparison between sleeping and meditation. Typical signs of aging - weakness, a decrease in mental acuity and the like are all exacerbated by a lack of sleep as are lack of mental clarity and calmness. Apparently aging is a something of a self-fulfilling prophecy created by a lack of sleep. Hmm - does logic then  dictate that I can slow down the aging process by sleeping better?  Where is my bed?

If the Dalai Lama's sleep routine really does include several hours of sleep preparations followed by 8-9 hours of sleep, he is a lucky  fellow indeed as nobody I know has time to follow that routine if they have any kind of active life. Truth be told, I probably come closest and I am not interested in giving 11-12 hours a day to that routine on a regular basis, although I confess it does sound attractive. Its practicality, however, is suspect.

Funnily enough, many people brag about their ability to get by on minimal sleep and claim that is how they accomplish so much. Back in my college days, I regularly made that claim. I suppose my late wife should be included as she was tasked with typing all of my college papers,usually finished at the last minute and all written in my nearly indecipherable chicken scratch. Frankly it is a wonder the fledgling marriage survived that one.

While researching this topic I found that there is research being done that actually tests the premise of this week's topic. Check out Calm College https://www.calm.com/college.  It would appear the Dalai Lama is really on to something. It may not completely replace sleeping but the benefits of meditation cannot be questioned. Several  people I know are serious proponents of meditation and they are among the calmest, most well balanced people I know. Clearly further investigation is warranted.

7 comments:

  1. May I risk annoying you and comment on your very last sentence? No, further investigation is not warranted. Practice is what is warranted.

    Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ramana, I could kiss you. Indeed, whichever sphere of life, "Practice is what is warranted".

      But to practice, practice takes commitment,requires discipline, not daisy waiving lackadaisical tomorrow may not come anyway attitude.

      Pleading not guilty as I charge myself. Get me a good lawyer. In absence of which a well stocked library will do to while away time in self imposed prison.

      U

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh at your fledgling marriage and the typing!
    a love that lasted.
    I've tried to interest the marine in meditation too. but so far no taker. he's so active that I suppose he's tired enough to sleep anyway. I have heard him finally say lately that he's not sleeping 'regularly' like he usually does! so... who knows?
    maybe 'Practice' will be something to come his way after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do see my reply over at Ramana's.

    What I can't understand why I am so resistant to meditation. I see the benefit it bestows on the Angel (a hot blooded Alpha in the best sense of the concept) yet I (woman) find it difficult to, I don't know, "relinquish" what exactly? The one "guided" meditation he talked me through was great, yet freaked me out at the same time. I'll get there. He even thinks me a "natural". Intuitive. Yeah, well. Doesn't stop me from (see above) being slightly freaked out.

    You say "serious proponents of meditation ... among the calmest, most well balanced people". Indeed, Chuck. That the Angel is. But then he was born in the sign of Libra, balance. Even before he took up meditation.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a Libra but for the life of me I cannot seem to meditate - LOL. I shall keep trying - Ramanais a great example of that balance of which you speak.

      Delete
  4. I’ve not engaged in meditation per se, but have used relaxation methods that are much the same. I highly recommend the latter. They’re no substitition for sleep, but they can create a mental state conducive to sleep.

    My sleep pattern has been more erratic and length of time asleep has become shorter at night since I’ve retired. That’s probably because I intentionally have a much more irregular waking hours schedule. Sleep after outdoors physical activity has always resulted in what I experience as better sleep, but I have less to no such labors any more.

    Perhaps I could extend my years if I scheduled my activities more, but would doing so add that much and i so like not having imposed routines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I slept ten hours in high school before dropping to nine hours which is where I am now at age 69. To get that sleep, I take 10 mgs Ambien at bedtime, and another 5 mgs during the night, 1,500 mgs of Neurontin, and a 40 mgs Remeron, but even with all this, pain keeps me awake much of the night. I thought the Dalai Lama's statement was quite interesting since it's the opposite of my image of meditators sitting for hours a day in a lotus position.

    ReplyDelete