Thursday, August 30, 2018

My top 10 guilty pleasures 2-on-1

This week's topic was my idea. Guilty pleasures - something, such as a movie, television program, piece of music or food that one enjoys despite feeling that it is not generally held in high regard. Be  sure to check Ramana's take on the subject here.

Hmmmmmmm - why 10? That seems like an embarrassment of guilty pleasures so lets see where this goes.
  • British Invasion music -  my absolute favorite  from the sixties. There has never been nor will their likely ever be a band as influential as the Beatles IMHO.
  • This one is somewhat embarrassing but I really like a lot of those Hallmark Movie Mysteries and Christmas movies. My now  18-year old granddaughter and I used to watch the Christmas movies together and the mysteries are always fun to watch, even though simple to solve.
  • I love reading conspiracy theories. I am  particularly interested in the Jesus had a family and has a bloodline so well described in Holy Blood, Holy Grail and turned into a fun read by Dan Brown in his novel The DaVinci Code.
  • Kennedy Assassination - this single conspiracy theory gets its very own spot on the list. Why? When I was a supervisor on the Product Support Team at RadioShack a few years back, one of our customers was The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. In that position I was lucky enough to have several conversations with the then manager that ran the place. I asked him point blank if Oswald acted alone or if the Conspiracy theorists were correct and he simply chuckled and said "Chuck - anyone who goes through this place and looks at the evidence and thinks Oswald acted alone is a fool". Now we may never get the whole truth but we should keep looking.
  • Promise not to laugh, but I am a Bigfoot believer. One of the common  stories heard is the tale of a 50 gallon drum thrown down a hill - not rolled but thrown. I actually know someone who claims to have seen that and he was scared to death as he related the tale.
  • Old sci-fi and horror movies have always been faves of mine. The first movie I remember seeing was Tarantula - incidentally one of the first  movies a very young Clint Eastwood appeared in. And then there is The Day The Earth Stood Still - the original version. One of my nicknames when Lynn and I worked together for a small company was bestowed by the company president - Gort - the first real bad ass of my youth.
And then there was The Thing - an original made better when remade decades later by John Carpenter. James Arness played The Thing in the original, in the remake your imagination played a much larger part.

  • Liver and onions - a vastly underrated plate of food IMHO. Typically the liver is cooked so well done it looks and tastes like shoe leather but properly cooked  to a pinkish medium it is buttery and great. Really. Seriously. Come on - give it a try.
  • Frozen Snickers bars. I am a Type II diabetic but I still enjoy the occasional frozen Snickers bar. Halloweens were always fun when my kids were growing up - they knew  to bring those little Snickers bars to me - LOL. They could exchange them for whatever we had left over and we always had good stuff so they never felt cheated.
  • Old sports cars - my very first car was a 1956 MGA. I'd kill to get that one back - and yes I still fit in one, albeit barely LOL. It looked exactly like this one - wire wheels and all.

  • Caspers Hot Dogs -you can take the boy out of Hayward but you can't get Hayward out of the boy. From the first time I had one, Caspers dogs have been my fave, and now they can be ordered and shipped to NC. Yay me, I have already put in a birthday request for a case. 
That concludes my list of guilty pleasures and puts this week's topic to bed. See ya next week when east meets west in another 2-on-1 when Ramana and I blog on the same topic.



10 comments:

  1. Love that you fessed up to the Hallmark movies. Great blog full of insights into the "Wonderful World of Chuck McConvey".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm blessed with a total lack of guilt about anything when it comes to personal preferences. I just do what I fancy doing and I don't care if other people might disapprove. But in terms of possible disapproval, I love chips, ice cream, schmaltzy movies, expensive restaurants, unripped jeans, dumb phones, modern art and things that are pink and flowery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Nick - I'm with you - and for the life of me I do not get the style statement being made with ripped jeans. I used to enjoy expensive restaurants, now I can only afford the types that post the menu on the wall behind the cash register LOL.

      Delete
  3. you guys are so much fun! I've enjoyed every one of Yours and Rummy's and Nick's guilty pleasures. LOL!
    my thoughts first ran to food. :D or lack thereof in the guilty area. I have to obey or wind up (what? dead I guess!) LOL.
    so I'm definitely with you on the Hallmark channel. I LOVE IT!
    Garage Sale Mysteries. and all the Christmas ones! oh my. yup. guilty there for sure and totally unashamed. the world could use a good dose of Hallmark. ALL of them. but I have my favorites too.
    and your little red MG! what a year! there used to be a woman who drove around town in one. her silver hair was flying and she was retired I suppose. I remember thinking... I want to have a car like that when I'm old! LOL! and I am now. and I don't have a car like that. but you made me think of her. thank you! it was her spirit I loved. I think I was 10 years old. we moved. so I don't know what became of her but I bet she was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy if I was as serious about my Type II as you seem to be I might be healthier and happier alas I am not.And that little red MGA goes for 20-25,000 dollars these days. I paid $300 for mine.

      Delete
  4. I like the Anonymous' comment about the wonderful world of Chuck. Yes, the post is full of wonder at your choices.

    I wish that I too had gone down memory lane to write about pleasures. My posts would have included motorcycles, sports cars and pub crawling nights out with the gang. I can no longer indulge in those anymore and my pleasures are therefore more modest. I still like to watch movies but nothing new has come which appeals to me. I intend watching one on the internet that is no longer available on DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just toss them in the freezer - simple as that and they are WONDERFUL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is absolutely nothing to feel guilty/embarrassed about in loving MGs. Or Christmas movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My granddaughter and I used to love those movies - I am somewhat surprised I have remained as interested since she outgrew them and I will always love MGs

      Delete