Thursday, September 27, 2018

Is Modern Marketing Intrusive? 2-on-1 09/28/2018

Is modern marketing, with all of the digital data available, intrusive? You bet it is. The question is - is that a bad thing? I expect that depends on whether or not you enjoy shopping. Personally, I'd rather go to the dentist than go shopping. Oh - and I hate the dentist, in spite of the fact one of my oldest, best friends and his wife are both dentists. Clearly shopping is not something I am particularly fond of.

Data mining is the new gold field - how often have you been  browsing the Web, jumped on to Facebook and IMMEDIATELY seen ads for the item you were just looking at or similar competitive items? It happens to me daily. Check the page header age for Yahoo the next time you open yahoo. Effective data mining. All  tailored specifically for you. Personally I enjoy the fact that some algorithm does the work and I an led to sites that have exactly what I am browsing for. 

Now this is not necessarily bad and it is easy to stop. You can always use a browser like Tor or you can browse incognito, both of which I find to be a pain in the butt. I deal with it by deleting my browsing history several times a day and each day when I am finished with the computer.  It is quite simple - I use Google Chrome but Edge and FireFox both work the same way. In Chrome simply click on the 3 vertical dots st the far right of the address bar, That opens a menu and and you click on More Tools - which opens another menu to the left. Click the Clear Browsing History option. I personally click the four top options and then the Clear Data box in the bottom right corner of the screen. Problem solved for a while. At the end of the day repeat the procedure and you will have a fresh start the next time you loginf

Remember - these sites earn their money on site clicks and advertising. They have a powerful argument to make about effective targeted marketing. I do not understand why so many people are offended by this - welcome to capitalism. Plus, each browser has their own set of rules for clearing browsing data so do a little exploring.

That's it for this weeks 2-on-1 blog. Be sure to check Ramana's take here.

5 comments:

  1. Pop-up adverts and invitations to join something seem to appear more and more often on the websites I visit. They're getting beyond a joke. Most of them are of no interest to me. Those websites where you have to answer some questions in order to keep reading are also annoying.

    Yes, modern marketing is intrusive and totally over-the-top, but trying to stop it or reduce it would be like trying to make a stream flow uphill.

    Oh, and I have no problem with dentists. I have a lovely female dentist who is very reassuring and keeps all pain or discomfort to a bare minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do almost all my shopping nowadays online and therefore am vulnerable because my taste is known and I keep getting unsolicited advice from various online marketeers. I have accepted it as being part of our modern society and have learnt to live with it. There is hardly a choice any way.

    Like Nick, my dentist too is a charming young lady who has kept me from becoming toothless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Shack for the advice of clearing history more often. I hadn't even thought of that. just as a matter of cleaning it up and starting fresh each day. I like the idea of it. seems like good housekeeping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tune most of it out, do not want personalized ads targeted to me now or ever. I dislike the quality decline of Google search items, too — no longer seem as objective as they once were years ago. I understand the need to monetize, but don’t think they’re hurting.

    ReplyDelete