Thursday, April 11, 2019

Deja Vu All OverAgain

In honor of the opening of baseball season I selected this week's topic -as quoted by former Yankee great Yogi Berra. Besides being one of the best catchers ever to play the game and being part of 10 championship teams, Yogi was famous for his Yogi-isms (colloquial expressions that lack logic). Truth be told, many of them are just attributed to Berra, even if he never actually said them. As he so perfectly put it: “I never said most of the things I said.” It's time to sit back and have a chuckle or two and take a break from the seriousness that dominates life these days.


  1. It's like Deja Vu all over again.
  2. When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
  3. You can observe a lot by just watching.
  4. Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.
  5. A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.
  6. Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.
  7. We made too many wrong mistakes.
  8. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.
  9. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.
  10. Never answer an anonymous letter.
  11. The future ain’t what it used to be.
  12. I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.
  13. It gets late early out here.
  14. We have deep depth.
  15. Pair up in threes.
  16. I don’t know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads.
  17. He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.
  18. You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.
  19. I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.
  20. It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.  
  21. So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face.
  22. Take it with a grin of salt.
  23. The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.
  24. Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.
  25. I usually take a two-hour nap from 1 to 4.
This is my favorite time of year as a sports fan. As I have said in many blogs, all I ever wanted to be is a baseball player. As a kid - until moving to the SF Bay Area I loved Yogi and the Yankees, but that all changed when I had my own team to root for - the  Giants of Willie McCovey, Willie Mays, Orlando Cepeda and the rest. Plus, along the way I discovered hockey and the Stanley Cup playoffs started this past Wednesday. That makes me a happy guy. It happens the same time every year -  it's like deja vu all over again.

Be sure to check Ramana's blog here. I suspect his take will be decidedly different - perhaps there is a cricket player equivalent to Yogi Berra.

8 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA! thanks Shack! I needed this today.
    a perfect start to the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Shackman! You have taken the fork after all! What a treat and what a lovely surprise. Great approach to the topic. Thank you for the warm feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was fun. And I too have my pizzas cut in 4s as I simply could noteat 6 pieces

      Delete
  3. I'm no sports fan, but I have heard of Yogi Bear, and he never said anything a hundredth so delightful as those quotes. The main thing that struck me about your photos is that, you're smiling in the middle one, having fun in the first one, and looking dour in the last one. I hope this doesn't say anything about your evolving view of life. I just turned seventy, and while I don't look exactly like you, it does sometimes seem to me that the passage of years has somewhat of an equalizing effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dour? I jokingly say curmudgeonly. I am a combination of all 3 pics - funnily a couple of weeks ago I got a phone call from my college football coach about a multi-season reunion he is organizing. After greeting me I caught hell from him about the hair and beard. Joking of course but still - I will soon be 70 also.

      Delete
  4. Well, I'm not a sports fan but those quotes are brilliant. Indeed, you observe a lot by just watching. And I've said it before and I'll say it again, silence is golden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed this! My husband and I enjoyed baseball which was a sport he had continued to play after high school — though football had been what he expected to have a scholarship for to Ohio State until WWII happened that he told me about since we didn’t know each other then. Yogi was quite a player though Cleveland Indians had been my team in ‘48 and Yankees weren’t my favorite. But you had to love his witticisms and the outstanding players on all the teams.

    ReplyDelete