Thursday, June 13, 2019

Sometimes I wonder

 This week's 2-on-1 topic  asks questions. Do you have questions? Do you have answers? The topic is actually the opening line to a song from the sixties written by my friend Ron Ryan, and I found myself laying in bed  a few weeks ago and the song popped into my head.  Even at the age of 69, I find myself pondering the universe and where we are headed. Some answers come easier, others are much more difficult.

Sometimes I wonder :
  1. Is there really a meaning to life?
  2. Is there really a God?
  3. Have I failed the ones I love?
  4. Is the world better with me in it?
  5. Is there intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?
  6. Is humanity headed in the right or wrong direction?
  7. Why do so many people fear diversity?
  8. Is there inherent order in nature or is it all chaos and chance?
  9. Has there always been something or before something was there nothing? 
  10. Why are so many people so confident in beliefs that can’t be proven?
  11. When is taking a human life justified?
  12. Do animals have rights?
  13. Why is life unfair?
  14. Is privacy a right?
  15. Is fear, ignorance, jealousy, or something else responsible for hatred? 



Please visit Ramanas Musings to see what Ramana has to say about this weeks topic.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful questions that lend an elegant commentary to the many unknowns of existence and how we fit into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin I am an old llineman - elegance is not in my arsenal LOL but thank you - very glad to see you and Peter back

      Delete
  2. Remarkable list that you have got there Shackman. I would be very interested in learning the answers to the questions too!

    On receiving your suggestion, I too remembered a song with the starting lines of the topic but, much older. I have included that in my post. I hope that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent musical chouce - not a song I was familiar withand I intentionally did not answer the questions as now I have a source for topics LOL

      Delete
  3. whoa. such wonderous topics for debate.
    and I would love to be able to hear your take on any of them.
    as a matter of fact … there are 15 Fridays filled right there!
    admittedly a few of them I have barely given a thought to.
    while others I have beaten to death in my own head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrestled with answering them as well but that would have v\felt like a masters thesis LOL and I did not feel like writing that much to be honest.

      Delete
  4. Interesting questions I've often pondered myself. Indeed, is there any meaning in life or is it just a lot of pointless striving and self-promotion? There are any number of arguments one way or the other. In answer to #11, I don't think taking a human life is ever justified. It's seen as justified in war situations, but governments should be doing everything they can to avoid war in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a shae that governments do not follow your suggestion Nick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve wondered about many of those questions myself. Be sure to share the answers if you get any of them.

    My question too, when reading your list was, Is taking a human life ever justified? As long as there are people in the world who believe in and practice being vindictive I guess we’ll shed blood. Would I kill another if that was the only way to keep from being killed — probably so — likely an automatic self preservation response.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way about taking a life - I suppose some of the other questions may show up as blog topoics down the road

    ReplyDelete