Thursday, January 17, 2019

What would you do given 38 minutes to live before Nuclear disaster were to strike?

This topic was my choice. It came from seeing a picture of the old duck-and-cover days when I was in grade school, junior high and high school and a friends post on Facebook that asked the same question. Why did my friend  post the question? Simple actually - it really happened to Hawaii when on January 13, 2018 the following emergency message was broadcast at 8:07 A.M. to all Hawaii cell phones - BALLISTIC MISSLE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

As you can imagine, the fear and anxiety was nearly unimaginable. Check these links

Fear. Panic. And tears. For 38 minutes, Hawaii thought it was under attack

Being a mother in Hawaii during 38 minutes of nuclear fear

For 38 Minutes, Hawai Panicked. This could be the end

Obviously there was an error and Hawaii remains lush and lovely in the middle of the Pacific. But, ngiven the political climate both here in the USA and elsewhere in the world, what do you suppose the chances are another mistake is made and what if it isn't caught in time? Or, in a worst case scenario, a nuclear attack is actually launched? Wth the actors and nations involved, I frankly am no longer not worried about nuclear conflict. I think there are enough fools in charge in all of the nations with nuclear arms that actually believe nuclear war is both survivable and winnable. As the old somg goes, it's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

And to answer the question posed by the topic, like most I'd undoubtedly spend most of my time contacting those I care most about. Where I live is not likely in and of itself a primary military target there are several close enough that I won't have to worry for long about anything.

I often wonder if tjhe younger generations these days are as aware of the situation we live in - as I think we were in our youth or have they seen sufficient movies and game scenarios that have dulled them to reality? Has any movie had the effect of Nevil Shute's novel On the Beach that was turned into a fairly sobering film in 1959? I know that one stuck with me for years.



As our society seems to move closer and closer to the vision of Ayn Rand are the chances for nuclear conflict heightened? "My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.”  

That certainly sounds like the credo of any high-powered CEO to me. Kind of reminds me of that old credo - the one who dies with the most wins" - the call of the unchecked, unregulated capitalist. Merge that with the decidedly un-Christian hateful evangelical right and the recipe for disaster is at hand. Lets just hope common sense has not taken a permanent vacation.

Be sure to check out Ramana's Musings to see his take on this week's topic. I suspect it will be quite different. 


7 comments:

  1. Your suspicion proved to be 100 % correct. My take was rather unusual as to what I would do. I suspect that most people would do what you say you would. Both of us however, have used clips in our posts but, while yours is fiction, mine is not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was fiction but the newspaper links were all very real.

      Delete
  2. I also remember the days of "being a turtle" by my school desk.
    how amazing to think that the grown ups who had just fought a world war thought that crouching on the floor and covering one's head with our own hands would be protection from any atomic blast!
    I suppose my answer would be very different if I were the age I was when we listened in class to the progress of the ships that were not turning around in those frightening days of JFK's presidency. all I could think of was "I'm not going to get to grow up!"
    now I'm like Rummy's post. I think I would accept it. I would hope to be near my brother (who lives in the same city but far enough to have to drive to where I am.) and being 17 miles from the largest Materiel Command Post in the country … Tinker AFB …
    I'm sure that it would be a major target. so it's all a moot point for me!
    and yes. there seems to be a dulling of reality... just as you say in the post. it's a period in history that bears their concentrated study if it's not to be repeated. or would they look at it as just a "buzz kill." 80,000+ people obliterated! in only a minute or so. frightening and sad beyond belief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembr wondering if I was going to get to grow up too. I doubt the kids today give any of that a second thoughtand you are probably right about the target. Sigh,Time to watch another episode of Jonathon Creek on y Britbox channel

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't be praying to a christain god.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would likely be contacting my family members during that time as they live across country from me — unless I knew they had shelters to which they could go. Then I would not take up any of their precious time since being younger they might have a future. When I was young, I was certainly concerned about the nuclear situation when first aware so many years ago, but realized there were limitations as to what I could do for self-preservation. So, it was pretty much of just go on with life for however long we have. That’s sorta like it is now as I age.

    ReplyDelete