Friday, August 9, 2019

Final Trip Prep

Monday is the big day - a 1:46 AM departure from Charlotte via AMTRAK- first stop DC and then a 5 hour wait for the next leg, DC to Cleveland. Train schedules are no where near as convenient as airline schedules. I hope the train ride makes up for the scheduling issues.

Cleveland has a multi-day layover for planned visits to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and possibly the Pro Football HOF in Canton. 

Time to get packed. AMTRAK has fairly restrictive luggage size restrictions for carry ons - I have a 24" duffel bag to fill along with my laptop case. AMTRAK advertises luggage service just like the airlines for checking luggage - I always had good luck on airlines. Time to check out the train. 

I have lots to pack, fortunately this reunion is not a dressy one - at least for me. Just jeans and khakis and my collection of long sleeve pullovers. We PSORIASIS sufferers usually wear long sleeve shirts regardless of the season. As it turns out my elbows are clear at the moment, my legs not so much LOL. Oh well. Life's a bitch some times LOL.

I figure the packing will take ma about an hour - I will recruit my grandson to help. He will be pestering me about leaving my laptop so he can watch his TV shows - tough noogies Bubba. It travels with me. He is also coming up on school start time - that means he has to go to bed early and get used to getting up early to catch his 7AM  bus to school. He is a night owl like his mom.

OK - I messaged my grand daughter and reminded her that Monday night she is taking me to the train station. I board in Charlotte, Jim Furr - my old high school classmate and travel companion boards at Greensboro - the first stop after Charlotte. We get in to DC about 9:30 and then wait 5 hours to board the next train. We arrive in Cleveland at 2:30 AM or so. I'm hoping we can sleep on the train. Bad news - we cannot check in to the  Hyatt in Cleveland til 3:00PM -  looks like we get to sit  in the lobby and relax. A lot.  We leave Cleveland on the 18th.

That's it for final prep - will let you know how the train ride is going once we get started. Happy trails,

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. I hope you have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, the DDay is finally here. I am very happy for you and the 2 on 1 posts can wait. Have a safe and enjoyable trip and keep us posted about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete