Thursday, October 10, 2019

Retirement 2-on-1 Blog 10/11/2019

Retirement. Ramana selected this weeks topic so be sure to checkout his blog  - Ramana's Musings. 

Back in my high -school days there was some serious competition between popular radio stations that played pop/rock music. For many years the leading station was KYA and my favorite deejay back then was Gene Nelson. He called his listeners Royal Commandos and we had membership cards. Ultimately the station was purchased by Gene Autry and became part of the singing cowboys radio empire. Now Gene Nelson had a habit of every Friday playing Take this Job and Shove It at the end of his work week. Nelson as not particularly fond of Autry's company and rules so on his last day there he boldly stated "this one's for you Autry"  and proudly played the Johnny Paycheck classic.



Myself - my retirement was not nearly so spectacular. RadioShack  filed bankruptcy when I was 67 so my retirement was more of a "Come get your damned computer outta my house" kind of thing. I was retired in the last round of layoffs after a rather undistinguished 30+ year "career"ll SSI benefits which I promptly filed for and began receiving have been the order of the day since then.

So, upon entering retirement what happens? Can you afford to retire? Where should you live when you retire? And to think you were looking forward to a lack of stress upon retirement. Unfortunately for many people that stress is magnified by trying how to keep fed while retiring. Golden years? For many, retirement begins the most stressful part of their life. Me? Not so much. While not having been smart enough to sock a bunch of cash away for retirement my SSI is sufficient to take care of my needs. There aren't any  cruises in my future but did take one helluva train ride.  Should I live in a retirement home? Who the bloody hell wants to live with old people. Not I LOL. That 70 year-old face I look at in the mirror each morning hides a rebellious teenage teenager's spirit inside. Your health care needs should be covered by Medicare and of course your retirement decisions will be largely governed by your health. Take care of yourself along the highways of your life

On a serious note, retirement needs to be carefully thought out if  you want to actually have your golden years be golden. Save money, plan ahead where you want to live.  Save accordingly. Truth be told, had Lynn not passed away we'd probably be living somewhere on the west coast of Baja. It is inexpensive and the weather is spectacular. Life there would be fun.

Retirement is what you make of it. It requires a degree of discipline but that discipline can make your retirement years some of your happiest.




 

3 comments:

  1. As you say, retirement is what you make of it. But of course that depends a lot on how much money you have. Luckily, for one reason or another, Jenny and I have quite a lot stashed away (though not by any means rich), so can afford to go on expensive holidays, go to our favourite restaurants etc. Indeed, retirement just means more stress if money is short, your health is poor and you're having to penny-pinch. But if you have no money worries, it's great doing exactly what you when you want and how you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johny Paycheck's song was my favourite too and because of that, I was quite popular in many company parties. I haven't however sung it in decades!

    What you say about discipline is the most important aspect of retirement. A disciplined life with set routines makes for a comfortable and stress free life and like you, sans Urmeela, my retirement plans too had to change so that I stayed put and invited my son and daughter in love to share my humble abode.

    I have no regrets but, do wish that I did not have the physical problems that prevent me from a more physically active life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just retired last week and the experiment has started. There have been some events (which I may speak of at another time) which I would have formerly found both trying and stressful that really are shedding like water off a duck’s back. It is because of the restructuring of time for me and I love it.

    ReplyDelete