Friday, October 23, 2015

Bulk buying - LBC topic

Buy more, save money. That's the credo of discount warehouse companies like Costco, Sam's Club, Winco and many others.Costco is in fact one of - if not the most admired retailers here in the good old U.S.A. They offer goods and services ast hugely discounted prices and pay their employees quite well.

So - do you really save money? Well sure - as long as you use the goods and services before they spoil/expire. A deal isn't much of a deal if half of the food spoils. For that reason I no longer belong to any wholesale warehouses - I am not in the market for things they sell that would benefit me - furniture, computers, etc. In fact I doubt I will ever buy another computer at retail - they are about half price at the local pawn shop - lol. Someone's misfortune saves me a bunch, a sad but true fact.

I will confess to having ultra-large packages of toilet paper and paper towels but most grocery chains offer those things as well as milk and bread as ;loss leaders to get you into their stores. That is normal retail.

As one who enjoys cooking I find it more beneficial to shop more often - including daily - to ensure I cook with the freshest possible ingredients.

So - bulk buying can be a good thing if you are smart about it. Buy things you can reasonably expect to use and enjoy the savings. Or spend the savings on more stuff. The choice is yours.

1 comment:

  1. From the comments that I got in my post, it is obvious that a lot of bulk buying takes place because of convenience, like distance to travel to buy, rather than for economics. In India that is never really a problem and one can buy small quantities of just about everything including single stick of cigarette!

    ReplyDelete