Thursday, January 23, 2020

Anticipation

This week's 2-on-1 topic is anticipation - that excitement (or even dread) you feel, waiting eagerly for something you know is going to happen.We've all felt it, both the excitement and or dread over what  is about to happen.

It can be about someone you are traveling to see 


It can be about a relationship you are trying to work out 


Anticipation visits us at any age

Image result for peanuts cartoons about anticipation


It's about paying $250 for concert tickets and waiting to hear your fave tune



Or  paying $6.00 per seat and waiting for your fave tune  


 Can you see me in the second deck between home and first base? I was there -

It can be sitting and waiting for your first wrestling match of your senior year looking across the mat at a guy that looks like he will tear off one of your limbs and beat you with it like I did in 1966 - because football season carried over into wrestling season and I had only been to one practice and damn but that Mission San Jose heavyweight looked mean and nasty. But, when the dust had settled, I won 19-2 - all that dread was much ado over nothing.

Remember how you felt as a child around Christmas if you celebrated the holiday? The anticipation grew exponentially that last week before the big day. And then you swore you'd stay awake and catch Santa in the act.  
Alas, the cookies you left for him were eaten and you fell fast asleep but were up at the crack of dawn.

Was your anticipation for an event and the excitement it generated ever met by the actual event? Absolutely and in many cases it far exceeded  the level of anticipation - but on occasion the event failed to live up to my expectation. At times my expectation was simply unrealistic. My high school Senior Ball was frankly quite underwhelming - we were the first class to have our Ball off campus and  our expectations were high. It was at a place called the Claremont in Berkeley - a lovely place. But our organizers dropped the ball on entertainment and food.


The class of 68 did a better job, selecting a hotel in San Francisco and choosing a local band for their entertainment - a quiet little band called Creedence Clearwater Revival. Their Ball was a few weeks before the band's first big hit, Susie Q hit the airwaves.

All in all, anticipation has been a good thing for me. I have been realistic en0ugh to manage my expectations and all in all life has been pretty good to me.

Be sure to check Ramana's blog and see what he has to say Wisdom by Hindsight.

See ya next week for another 2-on-1 blog.






1 comment:

  1. I anticipated your post with some songs and I am not disappointed. You are quite right in that by and large anticipation is a good thing. Quite how we handle the outcomes is where the rub lies. In my post, I have covered that.

    ReplyDelete