Friday, August 9, 2013

LBC topic - Humor

The Old Fossil - Conrad -  offered us this topic for discussion today. What is humor? Something that amuses us - makes us laugh. It comes from a Greek term related to the balance of fluids in the body keeping us healthy. So humor is good for us.  So sayith the ancient Greeks.  Me too.

There are many kinds of humor.  Humor has the ability to pull us from the depths of despair, offend us to our core or just simply make us laugh.  Laughter is a good thing.  One of the best things. Humor is both universal and contextual. Cultural nuances rule most humor, making it difficult for example for me to understand Indian humor.  Luckily I have a friend that can translate for me.

Where would we be without humor?  In a much colder, darker place to be sure.

 While it's politically correct to suggest we not laugh at but with people, sometimes that's simply not possible. Have you ever laughed at someone  stumbling and falling?  Ever laugh at one of those silly videos on one of the myriad  "Funniest Home Video" shows? I rest my case.

Wry humor -the bumper sticker that boldly states "If you can read this you're too close".  The old salt "That's as funny as a screen door on a submarine".

Are the clips that follow humorous?? Ultimately that's up to you.  Personally, I find them all very funny.

Religious humor





Dark humor -Frisbeetarianism is the philosophy that when you die, your soul goes up on a roof and gets stuck.  (George Carlin) 

Classic humor 






Offensive humor


Humor is in the eye of the beholder.   - One person's humor is another's offensive comment. Political correctness has spread like cancer.




Universal humor - humor that crosses cultural barriers


What did the Old Fossil have in mind when he chose this topic?   I have no earthly idea but I suspect it was something deep and philosophical - he's like that ya know. Best go read what he and he others have to say.

4 comments:

  1. I saw most of those back in the days when we had TV. All but two of them I had to play to jog my memory. Good selection, Chuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see you in a candid camera situation, acting as hu at first base and pulling out a kukri instead of a knife. Why don't Americans feature in Carlin's list?

    You surprised me with these instead of humourous songs! Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=023NmZP3fk8

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considered adding these -

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpB_40hYjXU

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NiAD17wpEY

    ReplyDelete