- Dogs are obsessed with being happy.
- He had as much fun in the water as any person I have known. You didn't have to throw a stick in the water to get him to go in. Of course, he would bring back a stick to you if you did throw one in. He would even have brought back a piano if you had thrown one in.
- I am not a cat man, but a dog man, and all felines can tell this at a glance—a sharp, vindictive glance.
- I myself have known some profoundly thoughtful dogs.
- If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
- If you are a police dog, where's your badge? [Asked of his German shepherd]
- In his grief over the loss of a dog, a little boy stands for the first time on tiptoe, peering into the rueful morrow of manhood. After this most inconsolable of sorrows there is nothing life can do to him that he will not be able somehow to bear.
Ginger (see image above) says
- I am not obsessed - it's just the way I am.
- Throw a piano in the water and you are on your own big boy!
- The only good cat is a flat cat - unless it wants to play nice with me.
- Me too - one sniff of their behind and you can tell.
- He got that one right.
- That's a bone spitter!
- There's nothing worse than losing your best friend - even if he/she only has 2 legs.
And then there's this one that says it all -
The dog has got more fun out of Man than Man has got out of the dog, for the clearly demonstrable reason that Man is the more laughable of the two animals.
Thurber packed a ton of human observation ihat he shared in his dog tales. I for one am about to read more - and to see what the other LBC bloggers have to say on this topic - brought to us by Lin.