Thursday, December 10, 2020

Breaktime - what do you do when you get the chance for a break from your busy schedule?

 2020 - what a long, strange year it has been. Many of us have experienced unheard of levels of  stress -I know I sure have. So how do all y'all cope? 

Most of you can guess that I spend a fair amount of time lost in music. There is very little music I do not care for. You are not likely to see me listening to an opera. I love Broadway musicals which I discovered as a kid. Camelot is my all time fave, though I prefer the movie to the stage version unless the stage version has Richard Harris as Arthur.

I used to read a lot. My record in books for  a year is over 300 but my preference is mystery fiction, sword and sorcery fiction and the like. Most of that is a quick one night's read for me but I do savor a good Harry Dresen novel by Jim Bitcher or a Kate Shugak novel by Dana Stabenow.  Very few classics make my list as I am more interested in current culture and firmly believe mystery writers are as accurate at chronicling the life and times of their characters as any so called classical author.

Then there is the popcorn movie. The multitub of popocorn, typically action/adventure flick that you kick back and relax. Think Indiana Jones, Harry Potter or my all time fave popcorn movie The Last Starfighter. I confess to a crush on Catherine Mary Stewart since I saw that one and there is a sequel coming.

For the record, my all time favorite movie is a little anti-war ditty called The Americanization of Emily.

Back to music for the home stretch. Movie and TV themes are a great source of relaxation for me. Who doesn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling when they hear the Theme from Cheers? Remember this one? Hill Street Blues.

Some of the best themes come from westerns -here is one of my faves Silverado

That's it for how I relax - save for that occasional lost in thought moment. The astute reader will note that I am a very simple guy. I suspect another sign off this week is more appropriate - Happy Trails

This week's topic was chosen by me. Be sure to check other bloggers in our group's take at their respective blogs: RamanaMariaSanjanaPadmumRajuSrinivas, and Conrad.


3 comments:

  1. It's no wonder when we get together we just start from the middle and comfortably travel anywhere our minds wander to. We are cut from much of the same cloth. You just require a little bigger cut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had anticipated your response. The two things that you have written enough about so that it was a fairly simple guess. On the other hand, I also knew that 2020 has been very unusual both due to the chinese virus and other personal problems. This is however the first time that you have mentioned them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Americanization of Emily is also a favorite of mine!
    it stars our state's favorite son... James Garner.
    I recall reading somewhere that movie was also a favorite of both Julie and his.
    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas Shack. xo

    ReplyDelete