Friday, July 4, 2014

But..... LBC post

We've all heard it.  No doubt we've all said it.  It's the trailer to those facts that do not jibe with our point.  It's the exception to our rule.  Or to the statement made by the debater with whom we are engaged.

But what about yickety yack doo dah.  But can be a terrific counter punch to the argument being promoted by your opponent. It's the contrast to the presented argument used to show the argument is not without flaws.  There's wiggle room if the discussion is a negotiation.

But holds the key to many things.



It's the sign of the curiosity of a child.



It's the heart of a poem about things left unsaid or deed left undone.

But You Didn't

By Merrill Glass
Remember the time you lent me your car and I dented it?
I thought you'd kill me…
But you didn't.

Remember the time I forgot to tell you the dance was
formal, and you came in jeans?
I thought you’d hate me…
But you didn't.

Remember the times I'd flirt with
other boys just to make you jealous, and
you were?
I thought you'd drop me…
But you didn't.

There were plenty of things you did to put up with me,
to keep me happy, to love me, and there are
so many things I wanted to tell
you when you returned from
Vietnam…
But you didn't.

All these things and more - that's what those 3 letters can do.

Check out the other LBC posters for their take on But...



3 comments:

  1. As all your takes on which ever question put this is a good one.

    I don't mind people using 'but'. It's a bit like traffic signs: "Danger ahead". "One Way Street". "Do not exceed 30 mph". "No U turn for the next fifty miles". The English are good that way. First they don't teach you anything, then they expect you to follow their rules and drive on the wrong side of the road.

    It's not easy to avoid 'but'. It's an interjection which does put people's hackles up before you so much as finished your sentence and put a counter argument. Your counter argument might be perfectly reasonable, yet all the the other person hears is BUT. As they say, Shackman, it's all in the packaging. So when you are a shark do smile before you swallow.

    U

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the fourth go with you! I do like the poem and there are no 'buts' about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The philosopher on display and how! And the PP&M song brings back so many memories for me. Thank you Shackman.

    ReplyDelete