Friday, March 25, 2016

Of Easter Eggs And Hot Cross Bunnies


My old friend Lin has once again offered up a challenging topic for this weekly blog exercise. She is able to mine amazing depth from seemingly innocuous topics.


Easter has always perplexed me a bit. Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus - and knowingly  celebrates it at the wrong time of year as well as coinciding with a pagan winter holiday. Well fine. But, the cornerstone of Christianity is eternal life represented by being born again" and promised everlasting life in the form an afterlife for the faithful. So how is it celebrated? Baskets of candy, colorful Easter eggs hunted by kids and the Easter Bunny as a symbol.  Frankly it all seems more than a  bit insulting to me. Oh - then there is the dressing up part wherein folks dress in their sartorial finery and head off to church - many for the first time of the year. 



But enough complaining! On to Easter Eggs.

https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/4/5/1333622377194/Traditional-Easter-eggs-008.jpg I have very fond memories of coloring Easter Eggs with my kids. And of hiding same and watching the kids - along with friends - scramble around the yard  looking for them.  Why? According to History.com the egg, an ancient symbol of new life, has been associated with pagan festivals celebrating spring. From a Christian perspective, Easter eggs are said to represent Jesus’ emergence from the tomb and resurrection. Decorating eggs for Easter is a tradition that dates back to at least the 13th century, according to some sources. Hmm - there's that pagan thing again.


Hot cross bunnies??




Now you may find this somewhat hard to believe but of all the pastries in the world my absolute least favorite happens to be hot cross buns, clearly the inspiration for hot cross bunnies and so even  with a good cup of coffee handy for dunking,  I'll pass.  And it occurs to me  y'all may think i am a humbug Easter guy. Not true. 

Anything that brings joy to kids and others is a good thing.  And while I am  admittedly not one of the faithful, I do NOT begrudge anyone (unless they are attempting to blow up innocent people) their faith. I say Merry Christmas and Happy Easter to them all. And pass the ham - I'd like some more. But religion? Anyone that knows me knows where I stand.


For the faithful I offer this tune -  not a hymn but if you listen to the lyrics it is profoundly spiritual.


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous, S-man. Love how the honesty in what you write shines through. Wishing you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, buns in the shape of bunnies are baked during Easter! I have learnt something new once again as I thought that Lin had used the word bunnies for real life bunnies after I read her little joke in her LBC post.

    And yes, the lyrics are profoundly spiritual.

    ReplyDelete