Thursday, May 16, 2019

Regrets

It is normal to have some things you have done in the course of  your life to regret. In fact, I would go as far as to say anyone who claims to have no regrets is simply a liar. But, to live a life filled with nothing  but regret is absolutely not a way to live either. In fact, trapping yourself in the past with regret and fear of the future is a sure fire formula for failure.

You'll never regret being kind so make being kind a habit - you'll find that is a good life plan to follow. If nothing else,  it is a good  formula for the rest of your life. Rather than regretting every questionable decision you make, put it in the experience column of the spreadsheet of your life. Make it a learning experience and try to not repeat the mistake again.

Had a bad breakup? Move on. I have found this song to be helpful a couple of times when things didn't work out in a relationship.


 I have been a John Denver fan since I first  heard this next song about an epiphany  a man has when he fist recognizes the beauty  and grace of nature in the rocky mountains. 

lived near them for the first 10 years of my life and the first time I heard this song I was sure John had written it for me.

It is normal to have  some regrets in life, just do not let them control you or weigh you down, Chalk them up to experience and try not to repeat them. There is plenty of good in this crazy world - even in these trying times. 



 That's my quick shack take on regret.  Don't live a life of regret - file the regrets away as experiences that helped make you the person you are and keep moving forward one step at a time. I must confess - my biggest   recurring regret is to not keep my weight under better control. Make that  control - anything would be better, alas, it remains to this day an issue. That itself is part of the reason I have carried the dumb jock persona intermingled with the jolly giant persona all these years.

Be sure to check Ramana's Musings to see what Ramana has to say. See ya next week, same bat time, same bat channel for another 2-on-1  blog where Ramana and I tackle the same topic to give you different takes on the subject.

11 comments:

  1. As usual, the choice of music is impeccable. I agree that "to live a life filled with nothing but regret is absolutely not a way to live either. In fact, trapping yourself in the past with regret and fear of the future is a sure fire formula for failure." You have articulated it very well and I compliment you for it.

    I try and live without regrets and fear of the future and by and large seem to have succeeded. To eliminate both will take more spiritual work and I am at it. Hopefully, before too long I will be able to reach that stage. In the meanwhile, one day at a time, is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is not enough time left for the spiritual work it would take for me.

      Delete
  2. I have very few regrets in my life, and I'm not lying. I think my only serious regret is not making more of a fuss about my boarding school and demanding to be moved to another school that was more suited to my personality. Or alternatively just running away and refusing to go back. But then again it was fear of my father that stopped me being more forthright, so regret doesn't really come into it.

    As far as my adult life is concerned, I have no regrets about anything. Whatever situation is in, I deal with it as best I can. If it turns out I mishandled it, then I simply chalk it up to experience, as you say, and move on. A misjudgment is not really a cause for regret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A misjudgment is not really a cause for regret.
      Not usually but on occasion

      Delete
  3. I don't think too much about it. at this age what is the point?
    but I do have three major regrets in my life. I have quit trying to figure out the why and wherefore of each one. I just decided long ago to own them. if I spent too much time on them I would be cheating myself out of what's been a really wonderful life!
    and I also love your choice of songs. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. owning them is the key to a successful life tammy and you have a bunch ofcaring friends so you have done well

      Delete
  4. Thanks Chuck for another thought provoking blog. Most of my regrets come from the poor decisions of youth. Wisdom does seem to come with age.I appreciate your comment that we never regret being kind and I do try and make that a habit. Thanks also for the John Denver music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, I always kinda regretted letting that short blonde gf get away butthings turned out OK :)

      Delete
  5. I meant to say, I'm Sorry is a lovely, very touching song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, like John Denver’s music — too bad he died so young as he did. As for regrets, I don’t waste much time or energy thinking of choices I made in those terms. Why regret since there’s no way to know if a different choice had been made but what the results might have turned out worse? I can regret some things that happened in my life but they were not of my choosing and were beyond my control.

    ReplyDelete