Thursday, May 9, 2019

Someday!

The Shadow of Me

It was a long time ago, in another age
Where the shifting of the wind
Knew where I began
A place so far away, 
Somewhere distant, in childhood country
Before the fog had set in,
Before time lost all trace of me

Where have they gone?
Those merry dancers with whom I played?
When we were queens of the carnival, kings of the parade?
Before being dethroned to mid-life corners
Hearing the music, without playing the drums
They tell me to take this age with grace
Yet everywhere I turn, is young

I'm still the same, I have not changed
I lived a time where love was wild and thoughts were too
With high regard, when eyes were glued
Now inside I'm torn in two...the old and the new
Trapped between this nowhere place
Myself and someone else
Until each barrier becomes a bridge...
Have I been shaped too square by passing years, to fit in circle's place?

My memory recalls those beautiful tomorrows
Now long buried in yesterday's ground
There are other ways to measure time
Besides growing older and graying hair
Recorded music fills the room
Left playing from an earlier time
When October skies showed fading traces
Of empty days and sad old faces
The "others" of whom I had no fear

Now those shadowed remnants from my past
Are stalking at my heels
Will somebody care to ask?   Will anyone need my mind?
Is there something they want to tell me?
Will they patronize, or just be kind?

Care enough, make me useful, give me value, call me beautiful?....
Not yet the age I'll someday be
Still, I feel the sting of losing me
How I ache for all those love songs
How I ache for someone needing, someone pleading...
For advice....for my worth, for an answer, will they want me?
How it haunts me.....Will they see me?
Touching me....reminding me of who I am................not just who I was... 
 
Carrie Richards 

Do you live in someday? Someday I'll start that business,.
Someday I'll lose those extra 20 pounds. Someday I'll write that novel. 

Time is endless but as you circle the drain it dawns on you. The water is
running out. Time may go on forever, but we don't. Someday is today. Live for today -
 
 
 
That's my  quick  shack tale on someday - be sure to checkRamana's Musings. 

5 comments:

  1. Woah. first... I loved the song. simple. but like a sword to music.
    and second… amazing poem.
    do you feel old? I don't. I suppose we are. but I just don't feel it! I've always had back pain (scoliosis) so it's not even that there's more pain. I just don't feel it! I'm not circling the drain! not yet anyway. so I'll live today. someday is a long way off yet. and NO! I'm not really in denial. LOL. well. maybe just a little. XO
    p.s. you should finish your novel. I was thinking about you and that novel just the other day. I would read it. I want to know how that cop went bad. and what happens to him. (that's a good book when they stay in your mind like that!) and it's not even my kind of novel to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Tammy I do not feel old - life needs to be more minimal so live for today, don't worry about tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Shackman! This is a new side to you that has come out with this post. Remarkable for its appeal and simplicity. And you are bang on friend. At this stage of our lives all that we can do is cheerfully live for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lonliness is a dark place I often inhabit. It is not likely to change with my remaining time here on the third rock from the sun. I am simply to far removed from those I feel close to. There is nothing to do but keep placing one foot in front of thd other,

      Delete
  3. Very thought-provoking and emotion-prompting. Would that the distance could be shortened with those you might be close to. Living each day is what we do. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete