Thursday, April 21, 2016

I Think My Dancing School Diploma Just Expired LBC Post




This weeks topic comes from the fertile mind of Lin - methinks this is her musical equivalent of a fractal equation from her mathematician better half. How did she even know a buffalo petite such as I had a dancing school diploma?  Alas - when the knees go so does the dancing and my knees are long gone. Diploma expired. Condemned to sitting and watching. Aided by  a few adult beverages. Another of those life changing events.

I have mentioned before that at one time I was a member of a Polynesian dance troupe. True story. One of the many things I did was the Samoan fire knife.I was pretty good at it too - but admittedly was never as good looking as the guy in this photo but I could do the knife tricks. The Samoan knife dances sere the mostr fun  things we did as far as I was concerned but the Maori Hakas were a close second. - maybe because those bead skirts were more manly that th egrass skirts we wore for Tahitian.

.

New Zealand sport teams perform hakas prior to international matches -  check out the American pro basketball player responses in this one.



My dancing career lasted about three years and ended about the time I quit playing football in college. Lynn was not thrilled about the coed dressing rooms and stuff like that.The friend that got me involved is now a well respected Kumu with a professional dance troupe he He's been one of my best friends since  sixth grade. And there are NO existing photos of me in a grass skirt Ramana so don't ask.

3 comments:

  1. No, Shackman, I shan't ask. The NZ Haka dance has a very deep philosophical background to it and every school child there learns the dance and hopes to play for NZ so that they can perform the Haka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are typiclly challenges prior to battle - great fun to perform, especially kamate

    ReplyDelete