Thursday, April 7, 2016

The old days - LBC 04/08

This weeks topic was my suggestion. 



Were the old days really better than today? Certainly there were good days - we were all kids once. Playing baseball every day during the summer. Watching favorite TV shows with friends and family. Playing jacks with Sally Ann Ransdell (she whipped my butt regularly). Saturday at the Uptown Theater for an entire day of horror movies Saturdays or the Bowery Boys laugh fests with Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hal.



At the same time a substantial part of the population lived a lie - in the closet hiding their homosexuality. Real careers were only a dream for  50% of the population. The female half. And in many parts of the country segregation was the order of the day. In my home town it wasn't always an obvious thing but it was there bubbling beneath the surface. All of which reminds me of a line from one of my favorite songs - Yesterdays over my shoulder but I can't look back for too long. There's just too much to see waiting in front of me and I know that I just can't go wrong with these changes in attitude, changes in latitude".

Life is about change.  Drink your nostalgic  kool aid on occasion and play this tune once in a while.



Now to some the old days pertains to today. Every day.  At 66 most days I feel  my age in my joints. That's my fault for not taking better care of myself physically over the years. But remember that old adage "Everyone grows old but not everyone grows up". That's my story and I'm sticking to it.






2 comments:

  1. You have got a good foundation to build the coming days on. 66 is a good year to start. And I lost a bet with myself that you will write about your motorcycling days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good point, Chuck. As for me, I can't help getting older but I will never be old.
    blessings ~ maxi

    ReplyDelete