Thursday, November 22, 2018

Favorite Time of the Year

This weeks topic was my choice. What is your favorite time of the year? Mine is the last quarter of the year -m October, November and December.

Why? .Summer is gone, it is much cooler and Fall has begun. Fall is my favorite season - leaves change and the scenery is spectacular if you do not live in an urban environment. I have very distinct memories of my time in Colorado when we would pile into the car and head off to Aspen to see the changing colors. Gotta admit though - it would be kinda cool if the buildings changed color like the leaves during the fall. Maybe in an alternate universe.

Fall transitions into winter. Now remember - I do not live in a place where winter buries you up to your rear end in snow. I have not seen that since 1976 in Connecticut. I enjoyed it back them butr I was not even 30. The thought of that now is not pleasant. This is more like it....

North Carolina snow



Ft. Worth snow



 And then there are the holidays in the last quarter of the year, beginning with Halloween - my absolute fave as a child. Yes - I liked Halloween even more than Christmas. Back them it was common to receive  home made treats like candy and caramel coated apples, popcorn balls, cookies and the like.It was most definitely a more innocent time. The cinnamon candy coated apples on a stick were my faves -  bright red and oh so cinnamony.

Next up on the holiday parade is Thanksgiving - the American holiday known most for serious over eating and watching football with family and friends Turkeys begin  to get nervous about their fate around September I suspect. In fact mine is in the oven right now, under the watchful eye of my oldest granddaughter Jazz.
December has several holidays - Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Boxing day and Omisoka.There are more that apply to other parts of the world.



The plethora of holidays has had people through the years saying Happy Holidays. Recently that has caused the evangelical right to claim there is a war on Christmas which has led to other people complaining about religious icons and displays being incorporated in civic holiday displays. Personally I usually wish people a Merry Christmas and have yet to run into someone who is offended. Sometimes a person will indicate they are not Christian. I usually ask if they celebrate any of the other December holidays and depending on their response wish them a happy Hanukka Kwanzaa or whichever is appropriate.


Personally I think those offended by someone wishing them a Merry Christmas or a Happy Holidays need to take a chill pill. Anything that silly that contributes to our divided society is ridiculous.

And finally there is that annual reset button known as New Year's Eve. Now I freely admit it is rare these days for me to stay up until that silly ball falls in Time Square but it is refreshing to know you get to begin a new year the very next morning.

One thing interesting great to speculate on is would my favorite time be the same if I lived say in Oz - like my HS classmate Jerry. Because of the weather I cannot be sure.

Be sure to check Ramana's Musings to see what Ramana has to say

7 comments:

  1. Our last quarter too is full of festivals usually. India's biggest festival Deepavali is in October and as I write this, today is full of celebrations it being Karthik Poornima, Guru Nanak's birthday and Sathya Sai Baba birthday. At our place, thanks to a visiting niece from Delhi, we had a festival lunch and I am yet to recover.

    We however do not have a fall like you do as our leaves keep falling throughout the year and get reborn too! Our Northern border states get snow as well as fall like you do but down in the plains while it can get cold it does not snow.

    I hope that you will find mine rather more like yours and interesting, with a song thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike the autumn and dislike the early months of the year even more. I hate being cold, wet and shrouded in darkness. Snow and ice are picturesque for a while but when the snow turns to filthy slush and I keep skidding on the ice, I'm less keen. Give me more of the summer months, when I can enjoy the extra daylight, the sunshine, the warmth, and sitting out in the garden with a good book and a glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun post!
    I like the snow. but only because I don't have to get out in it unless I want to! we haven't had any yet.
    " Personally I think those offended by someone wishing them a Merry Christmas or a Happy Holidays need to take a chill pill. Anything that silly that contributes to our divided society is ridiculous. " that made me laugh. and it just says it all.
    like... GET OVER YOURSELF! or lighten up.
    life is too short to hassle over that kind of poo poo. the Great Spirit would rather see all of you simply trying to get along!
    have been fighting my own weird bug. it attacked the lungs (which are weak for me anyway) and so I'm wheezing these days like an old wino. (note I said WINO not rhino!) I've lost quite a lot of weight. which was a thanksgiving miracle! LOL.
    and note to Nick:
    it's NEVER too late. you're young enough and in good shape... you and Jenny should live in Australia!!! you could do it! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy: Jenny is very happy in Northern Ireland. And I don't think either of us would qualify to settle in Australia as we're both retired and not offering any essential skills. Perhaps in the next life....

      Delete
  4. Hi Shackman,

    I agree with you: why be offended with a simple "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"? But then again, there are plenty of sensitive people going around these days...we simply can't say anything without causing a pseudo-offence to someone. And this is why I am deeply anti-PC. Tired of the BS (pardon my French).

    Good post. And happy Fall! :)

    Cheers
    PS: came straight from Rummuser's blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall is my favorite season and especially that occasional brief time after the first freeze if we are lucky enough to get a sudden warming called Indian Summer. The leaves changing colors that maples reds highlighted. Many years in midwestern snow country was best enjoyed if I could be assured of being attired to be warm. The first snowfall was always a delight. Winter became tiring so spring flowers were always more than welcome. I was sensitive to summers heat and humidity, had to be careful in the sun as a light-skinned redhead. The dry heat I enjoy now in the southwest and Southern California are my preference to snowy winter climes now in my older years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to add — Christmas was and is still my favorite if with family and especially children. Whatever greeting people wish to express intending good wishes is fine with me though I know the name itself has a specific religious connotation — but the holiday has meaning to others, too,, so fine with me. I’ve always enjoyed family gatherings, even participating in another good friend’s family group. Fortunately, none were ever so contentious, though we didn’t always see eye-to-eye on everything, that we didn’t part agreeing to disagree — still caring about one another.

      Delete