Tuesday, November 6, 2018

The politics of blogging

Blogging can be extremely frustrating for myriad reasons. In every blogging group I have participated there are times that it feels like a 13-year old gossip session with people ganging up on a single blogger to complain about what or how that blogger says things on their blog.


If a particular blogger offends your sensibilities I say make an attempt to work it out with that blogger one on one. Problem solved? Everyone lives to blog another day in a civil manner. Problem not resolved? Try ignoring  that bloggers blog and comments on blogs you both read. Both parties live to blog another day and skip the frustration of dealing with each other. 

If you simply cannot ignore that blogger's writing then deal with it and quit complaining.- clearly you relish the disagreement more than you are willing to admit and like a good fight. That is fair/fine. Just be honest  about it. Dunno about all y'all, but I loved debate class- put me on either side of the topic  and let the fun begin. I enjoy the battle.

The single caveat I suggest is be civil. It isn't that hard. If you cannot be civil, stay away from here. If the civility of any comment is in question, when you engage on my blog you follow my rules. If that us a problem there are lots of places to read blogs that I am sure you will find more rewarding than Shackman speaks. And, if you feel you cannot participate here because someone who regularly does so offends your sensibility then Happy Trails.


Like the Vaughn Meter line in his old JFK comedy album goes, "When you play with my ball you play by my rules.

6 comments:

  1. It has been a long time since you wrote anything other than our 2 on 1 topics and you have chosen a grand topic to write on. Your suggestions and observations are bang on and I do hope that this gets the wide exposure that it surely deserves among bloggers and commentators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the end of a long period of frustration for me and I believe I hsve purgee sll the nonsense from my system, leaving brighter days ahead LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn’t agree with you more about expecting civility in blogging.

    I thoroughly enjoyed debate team in college and recall the last national topic we had — Resolved that the United States adopt a policy of free trade with Red China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a fun topicf on either side. My prof was a quaker and pal of my advisor -he delighted in sticking on the side of an issue he knew was not my real feeling - I had a great time and irritated a few opponents LOL

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about civility.
    But cyberspace is like a wild world where hate speech is easy to find in social media, even on blogs.

    ReplyDelete