Thursday, November 15, 2018

Secrets

Ramana's choice for a topic this week is Secrets.  We live in a world filled with secrets. Everybody has secrets and every institution has secrets. And - pretty much everyone wants to know those secrets.


Politics and secrets certainly make strange bedfellows. It seems today's secrets in the political realm are merely tomorrow's leaks, designed to keep that "secret" in the news cycle longer than the typical 24-hour news cycle. That has - to my mind - increased significantly since 45 was elected. Our amoral sociopath POTUS is a master manipulator and liar. Who knows what secrets he is hiding under his sad looking comb-over. One thing is certain - the Presidential Book of Secrets  will never be the same after 45 is finished with it.

Like many things in life, secrets can be benign or harmful. Some are up for debate as far as I am concerned. I am not convinced it is ultimately harmless to kids to jeep up the existing Easter (bunny), Christmas (Santa, the Tooth Fairy and other similar mythologies for kids - we are lying to them. How can that be good when we are essentially telling kids it is okay to lie long before they are old enough to comprehend.

Keeping a secret like a surprise celebratory party is perfectly acceptable. I certainly enjoyed the party arranged for my 17th birthday unbeknownst to me.

Secret societies have been with us for centuries. Arguably, the most famous (infamous?) in western society is the Masons. The Masons have been accused of  and the subject of the most prevalent conspiracy theories in recent memory, from covering up the fact that Jesus has a bloodline (fictionalized in the DaVinci Code to devil worship along with the Templars. For a look at Masonic conspiracies, check. All of this is due to the secretive nature of the Freemasons.  Check here here to read about freemasonry  in Wikipedia.

Secret societies are by no means limited to western culture. Have you ever heard of a thug? That term comes from a Hindu cult called Thuggees in India - robbers and murderers responsible for upwards of 2 million deaths per  the Guinness book of records. Perhaps Ramana has one in his family woodpile - LOL. I have Freemasons  in mine.

The Ivy League - arguably the most prestigious group of colleges/universities in the U.S.A. is home to a vast list of secret societies, the most famous being Yale's Skull and Bones Society.  Read about  The Skull and Bones in Wikipedia.


Read about the Skulls - it is fascinating to see how many powerful men - including Presidents - are or have been  members. A central conspiracy theory to the Skulls and to an extent the Freemasons is their so-called desire to control the world.

There are religious secret-societies. They have been mentioned in several popular movies - the Illuminati and the Knights Templar, there are the Rosicrucians and more.

Clearly secrets play a huge part in society - from the benign kid stuff to some  allegedly very powerful groups. Some of it makes for very enjoyable reading.

As usual, be sure to check Ramana's Musings to see what his take on secrets is.

For you curious types there is a newsletter that you can sign up for to be kept up to date on the world domination desires of secret societies here  Secret Societies.



8 comments:

  1. You sure pointed out how all encompassing secrets can be which history shows, as do our novels along with true and fictional spy stories. I think about how secrets in relationships can often create problems, then usually come out sooner or later in some manner, or at least that’s what I’ve observed through the years. I would think keeping the secret is a wearing burden in the mind of the secret-keeper and may not even have the intended result.. I recall a situation in high school a classmate had when that proved to be true, also. I recall college social groups and honorary fraternities had secret codes, passwords and the like to be part of them. I’ve always heard if you tell even one person a secret it’s not a secret any more. I guess if you tell someone, you’re telling them something in confidence as with therapists, lawyers, other professionals, that’s kinda like giving them a secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned early on fessing up immediately was the way to go. Unfortunately my mother did not and kept secret info about my real father.

      Delete
  2. There are many many secret societies we know little about but probably wield a lot of power behind the scenes. My maternal grandfather was a freemason but he never told me anything about them so I don't know what advantages he gained from it if any. Like Joared, I think about personal secrecy and whether some things are best kept to oneself or spread around. In theory I'm all in favour of total frankness, but in truth there are good reasons for keeping some things secret to avoid damaging consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find all of this secret society stuff fascinating as hell and will probably do some studying. I hae always been interested in the Knights Templar and a few others. And damaging xonsequences - otherwise known as unintended consequences - could not agree more

      Delete
  3. No Shackman, I don't have a thug in the family woodpile but, I have been called one on a number of occasions. On the other hand, I have in my family woodpile, most certainly Free Masons, a much misunderstood lot in my opinion. Had I not been in a transferable job in my youth, I would have certainly been inducted as one. In fact, almost was in 1975!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Synchronicity - I too have been called a thug a time or two. I havenot always been the pleasant guy you see before you - LOL. My grandfather was a Shriner and had he lived past my 3rd birthday I no doubt would have been as well. My grandmother was in the Eastern Star - a woman's co group. and my songwriting friemd Ron Ryam in the UK has been a Freemason for years. These days of dwindling membership has them a bit more open and Ron always says he is in a charitable institution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my dad was a 32nd degree Mason. and when he died and we brought him home to be buried. two 'brothers' met the train to see that his coffin was transferred carefully as we had to change trains on the long trip. they didn't even know him. nor we them. but it's what they do I was told. they were not chatty but simply
    respectful. how did they even know? we were in a different state miles and miles away! it gave one an oddly comforting feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They still get tagged in many conspiracy theories even though they help people everywhere. The Shriners have childrens hospitals and do a lot of good ad well, looking silly while doing it

    ReplyDelete